BIG WORLD HOMES
Call for Applications – Closed on 3rd Aug 2016
Are you a young person who’s interested in urban life and looking to launch your personal brand?
Are you a natural storyteller and excited when the camera points your way?
Are you passionate about young people’s issues, in particular those of intergenerational equity and opportunity?
Do you have an interesting lifestyle or life story that you want to share with the world?
Are you always ready for an adventure and are you ready to undertake a media training experience like no other?
It’s time to upturn Sydney’s housing affordability challenge:
Big World Homes is searching for a talented Ambassador to help them share their mission with the world.
BIG WORLD HOMES GEN-Y/MILLENNIAL AMBASSADOR:
A call to emerging media personalities
Big World Homes is looking for a unique aspiring actor/journalist/media personality to join them on an exciting journey to launch a revolutionary form of affordable housing.
If you are the successful applicant, you will join the Big World Homes team as the ‘GenY/Millennial Ambassador’* to promote the new housing model through an experiential journalism project. (*Title will reflect your age!)
Let us introduce ’Big World Homes’, the brainchild of Alexander Symes who is on a mission to bring digital manufacturing to the new trend of minimalist living in order to create a breakthrough affordable housing product that targets the impossible leap from renting to buying for young people.
A Big World Home is a modular, mobile, off-grid housing system made from structural-thermal-waterproof integrated panels. For just 60K, it offers a new kind of asset rung for young people. It’s ordered online, arrives flat-packed and can be built by two people over a few days using simple tools, making incredible savings on labour. It’s IKEA meets tiny homes.
On October 1st, 2016, we are launching the first ever Big World Home at the Sydney Architecture Festival. In the lead up to the festival we are running a crowdfunding campaign to raise the funds to build it, and across the whole of 2017 all of the crowdfunding backers are taking turns to live in the Big World Home.
. . . Except for 17 weeks of 2017.
By selling exactly 35 weeks of crowdfunded bookings, Big World Homes will raise 17 weeks of free accommodation to give to you, to enable you to live an extraordinary soujourn in a Big World home and share your experience with the world.
In exchange for 4 months of free accommodation in the world’s first Big World Home, you will develop an experiential journalism project to discuss the issue of housing affordability in Sydney, bringing in your experience of living in a Big World Home.
You’re welcome to integrate a range of platforms or media stunts into the project, with the grand vision of building a personal, experiential narrative that will grow a global audience of followers.
Yep, this is your moment!
Get a springboard
to launch your media profile.
So, to summarise:
1. What you get:
2. What Big World Homes requires:
Find your feet
in the world.
Here’s how to apply.
Submit your application to:
Digital submissions of applications
Applications close Midnight (AEST) Wed 3rd August, 2016.
Notification of interviews
Friday 5th August, 2016.
8th – 11th of August, 2016.
Notification of successful applicant
12th August, 2016.
Build your global following
of Big World Homes fans.
Do you have a question that’s not here? Email us at: email@example.com
More about Big World Homes.
- All of Australia’s five major metropolitan cities have been classified as ‘severely unaffordable’ for the past 11 years. Young people are finding it more difficult to enter the market; the generational gap is widening, wages are declining, relative prices increasing, and most mortgages continue to go to existing home owners. It’s time to upturn the housing affordability challenge, and we invite you on the journey!
- Big World Homes is a new social enterprise aiming to shake up the barriers to housing ownership in Sydney. Big World Homes was founded by Alexander Symes in 2014, when he became frustrated at the lack of opportunity for young people to live in Sydney affordably.
- Coming from an architecture and engineering background, Alex saw an opportunity to fill the gap between renting and buying your first home, and decided to create a home to bridge that gap.
By dis-locating land costs and labour expenses (you move it onto available land, and you build it yourself) a Big World Home cuts up to 80% of the typical costs of a commensurate stand-alone dwelling, and comes to the market at AUD$60-80K per home.
- This means a young person (or a couple) can cease renting and direct their savings to playing the game – home ownership, until they are ready to move onto the next rung.
This is not to say that young people should make compromises and live in tiny homes! But that the re-conceptualisation of ‘space’ and ‘wealth’ is to housing what the sharing economy was to capitalism – Big World Homes has an expansive effect, creating a new life and new communities in the city for their owners.
When it comes to housing, it’s time to think big, and the answer isn’t small.
It’s all about the collective.